Fighting for every inch

I decided to paint the office. This office has had several “I’m gonna….” moments. Each one is, to be honest, a stopgap until I can figure out what to do more permanently. About six months after we moved in I decided to assemble some cheap shelves to hold my processed vintage stuff… for now. About eight months ago I decided to install wall shelves… for now. All my temporary organization seems to fail, miserably. As you can see, things only get worse the … Read more…

Picture rail moulding cache

While my car is being repaired, I’ve been trying to be present to help when I can. Mostly I’m good as an extra set of hands, especially when those extra hands need to squeeze into tight spaces to retrieve dropped sockets or connect inconvenient plugs. Anyway, so to stay close to the action I’ve been cleaning and organizing the garage. It’s not my favorite task, but Sunday while I was pulling stuff down from the scary loft space above the scary garage apartment I … Read more…

Chateau de Gudanes

Like much of what I follow and read, I have no idea how I found Chateau de Gudanes but I’ve been following the progress for a while now. If you’re interested in preservation and architecture you should probably visit the chateau on Facebook or their website. From what I understand, a couple from Australia was looking for a vacation home, something like a farm house, and ran across a crumbling chateau in need of – uhm – a little TLC (read better information about the … Read more…

Windows Pt. 6 – Interior Trim Rehab and Installation

Antique Wood Window Reoair - www.LauraAnneStone.com

… And speaking of trim, the combination of water damage and bright north sun proved too much for it and nearly every piece was damaged. Mottled water spots, drip stains and overall bleached and dried, we weren’t sure what we could do without completely stripping and re-staining them, which would mean doing the entire set – and possibly the rest of the room’s trim – to ensure a consistent finish. I took the two worst pieces, one bleached and one mottled, as well as … Read more…

Windows Pt. 5 – Interior Plaster Wall Repair

Because when it rains it pours, as demonstrated on day two of this three-month project, the water and neglect had caused the plaster keys to break which allowed the wall to bow out significantly. The cracks this caused were masked with drywall texture some years back but the wall was never properly repaired. Traditional plaster washers are a good idea but they require re-plastering the entire wall to cover them. Not wanting to do this, Jeremiah found a good solution that required drilling … Read more…

Windows Pt. 4 – Sash and Exterior Trim Installation

With the repaired sashes and new casing frame compete, it was time to finally get rid of the chipboard window. We took final measurements, positioned the sashes, and restrung and hung the window weights. With the window stops all positioned correctly, we could install the new exterior trim. Although I’m sort of a purist when it comes to restoration, we decided to not install the upper sash weights and pulleys. We added stop blocks to hold the uppers in place, then sealed … Read more…

Windows Pt. 2 – New Casing Frame Installation

So with everything removed it was time to build a frame. Measuring the rotten and partially replaced structure in the wall would be extremely impractical if not impossible – and honestly just the thought of trying to figure out where everything went makes my stomach turn even now. So those geniuses, Jeremiah and his dad, used the old frame as a sort of jig, laying it flat in the driveway and building the new frame on top. Unfortunately, there wasn’t much left to use and what was there … Read more…

Windows Pt. 1 – Discovery & Demolition

“I guess I’ll tackle these windows this weekend since I have Friday off,” said a man to his wife as they were about to embark on a harrowing project. The front windows had drippy upper sashes, we assumed because they were caulked and painted shut without being properly closed (hence the need for Window Wieners I made last winter) and the caulking was cracked. Due to what we thought was just normal environmental wear on 85+ years of paint buildup, we knew we’d be … Read more…