New sun room!

As promised, I painted the sun room first in my new color scheme. I am so happy with the result! The paint is dark but with all the windows the room actually feels more defined. My homemade Roman shades also look great, as does my recently painted couch and mid-century chair. Everything has pulled together just wonderfully. For a recap, here’s the before in a sort of brownish pink color – not terrible, just not really a color that goes well with our … Read more…

A real Finkton?

CAUTION: Nerd alert! I ran across a photo I’m sure I’ve seen but somehow didn’t really notice until I saw it after a night of playing Bioshock Infinite (again… for like the twelfth time, literally). As I’m sure I’ve noted, I’m the person who nerds out for more than the gameplay. I’m enamored with the architecture and atmosphere of these games – prompting my husband to exclaim “Booorrrriiinnngggg!” more than once when it’s my turn to play. These games take so much to produce, beyond just the … Read more…

Picking colors for new paint… again

Shortly after we moved in – a whole year ago! – as is customary for anyone settling in to their new space, I stuffed my cart to the brim with home goods at Target. Among the less necessary things I bought were an adorable campaign style X-leg desk I had been eyeing for a while – in red, of course – as well as some new toss pillows that I believe are no longer available, though they do have others in similar colors. The pillows have all sorts of color … Read more…

Windows Pt. 6 – Interior Trim Rehab and Installation

Antique Wood Window Reoair - www.LauraAnneStone.com

… And speaking of trim, the combination of water damage and bright north sun proved too much for it and nearly every piece was damaged. Mottled water spots, drip stains and overall bleached and dried, we weren’t sure what we could do without completely stripping and re-staining them, which would mean doing the entire set – and possibly the rest of the room’s trim – to ensure a consistent finish. I took the two worst pieces, one bleached and one mottled, as well as … Read more…

Windows Pt. 5 – Interior Plaster Wall Repair

Because when it rains it pours, as demonstrated on day two of this three-month project, the water and neglect had caused the plaster keys to break which allowed the wall to bow out significantly. The cracks this caused were masked with drywall texture some years back but the wall was never properly repaired. Traditional plaster washers are a good idea but they require re-plastering the entire wall to cover them. Not wanting to do this, Jeremiah found a good solution that required drilling … Read more…

Windows Pt. 4 – Sash and Exterior Trim Installation

With the repaired sashes and new casing frame compete, it was time to finally get rid of the chipboard window. We took final measurements, positioned the sashes, and restrung and hung the window weights. With the window stops all positioned correctly, we could install the new exterior trim. Although I’m sort of a purist when it comes to restoration, we decided to not install the upper sash weights and pulleys. We added stop blocks to hold the uppers in place, then sealed … Read more…

Windows Pt. 3 – Sash Repair

When we moved in, my mother gave us a book titled Working Windows by a man named Mr. Window. Actually I think his real name is Terry Meany, but he refers to himself as Mr. Window. Anyway, the book has diagrams, examples and all sorts of helpful information about repairing and restoring antique windows. I highly recommend it to anyone considering window repair. While Jeremiah and his dad were building the casing, I worked on the sashes. Every one of them had rot at the … Read more…

Windows Pt. 2 – New Casing Frame Installation

So with everything removed it was time to build a frame. Measuring the rotten and partially replaced structure in the wall would be extremely impractical if not impossible – and honestly just the thought of trying to figure out where everything went makes my stomach turn even now. So those geniuses, Jeremiah and his dad, used the old frame as a sort of jig, laying it flat in the driveway and building the new frame on top. Unfortunately, there wasn’t much left to use and what was there … Read more…